Your kitchen sink drain may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you make your cleaning checklist, but it should be. Leftover food, soap scum, and grease can all build up in the drain and lead to clogs and bad odors.
To keep your sink clean, fresh, and bacteria-free, this guide will walk you through how to easily clean a kitchen sink drain and keep it smelling great! From removing food particles to deodorizing the pipes, we’ll help you every step of the way. If you:
- Haven’t cleaned your sink drain in some time;
- Are looking for an easy way to get rid of unpleasant odors; or
- Have garbage disposal in your sink
This guide is for you! Keep reading to learn the best tips and tricks to keep your sink smelling fresh.
1. To clean a sink drain with hot water and dish soap
Start the kitchen sink drain cleaning process by filling a pot or bowl with hot water. Add a few drops of dish soap and stir until it’s mixed well. Pour the mixture slowly down your sink drain and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. This will help break up any food particles that are stuck in the pipes, as well as soften any grease or soap scum buildup.
Once the time is up, turn on your faucet and run cold water into the sink to flush out the soapy water and debris. You can also use an old toothbrush or pipe brush to scrub away any remaining gunk before running more water down the drain.
2. To clean a sink drain with baking soda and vinegar
If you’re looking for a slightly more natural way to clean your sink drain, baking soda and vinegar are the answer! Start by sprinkling a generous amount of baking soda into the sink drain. Then add about 1 cup of white distilled vinegar and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. This will help break up any food particles and deodorize the pipes.
Once the time is up, turn on your faucet and run cold water into the sink to flush out the mixture. You can also use an old toothbrush or pipe brush to scrub away any debris before running more water down the drain. Finally, pour boiling water slowly down the kitchen sink drain to give it one final rinse.
3. Get your garbage disposal clean with ice, lemon, and salt
If you have a garbage disposal, you can use ice and salt to help break up any particles that may be stuck in the blades. Start by filling your sink with cold water, then add a handful of ice cubes and 1-2 tablespoons of table salt. Turn on the garbage disposal and let it run for 30 seconds as it grinds up the ice and salt mixture. This will help remove any residue from the blades, as well as sharpen them back to their original condition.
You can also cut a lemon in half and feed it through your garbage disposal to naturally deodorize the pipes. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the sink after running your garbage disposal for an extra level of freshness!
How to keep a kitchen sink drain clean?
1. Clean your sink drain regularly: Cleaning your sink drains on a regular basis is the key to keeping them smelling fresh and bacteria-free. Aim to clean it at least once per month, or more often if you use your sink frequently.
2. Use baking soda for natural deodorizing: Whenever you’re cleaning your kitchen sink drain, add some baking soda to the mixture for a natural deodorizer. This will help keep unpleasant odors away.
3. Do not allow the food particles to pass down the drain: If you don’t want clogs in your pipes, be sure to scrape all leftover food particles into the garbage can before washing dishes in the sink.
4. Keep your garbage disposal clean: If you have a garbage disposal, be sure to run ice and salt through it every few weeks to help keep it clean and running smoothly.
5. Use lemon for natural deodorizing: Cutting a lemon in half and feeding it through your garbage disposal will help naturally deodorize the pipes. You can also squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the sink after running your disposal for an extra level of freshness!
By following these tips and regularly cleaning your sink drain, you’ll be able to easily keep it smelling great! Just remember that prevention is key; if you’re proactive about keeping things out of the drain, you won’t have as much buildup to clean.
Need a hand with kitchen sink drain cleaning in Barnegat, NJ?
Don’t have time to clean and service your kitchen sink? Don’t worry, the professionals at Plumber Near Me are here to help. We will leave your kitchen spotless and smelling better than ever. In addition, we also take care of any other areas of your home that need plumbing repairs in Barnegat, NJ.
You deserve to have ease and convenience in your life, which is why we make booking a snap. All you need to do is choose a date and time that works for you on our online form or call us at (609) 618-6836, then sit back and relax while Plumber Near Me takes care of the rest.